Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflower Series #1) by Lisa Kleypas

I have not read a historical romance in quite some time. Not usually my cup of tea, but I have read contemporary romance stories written by Lisa Kleypas (Sugar Daddy, Blue-Eyed Devil, Smooth Talking Stranger) and thoroughly enjoyed those books. They are what I would call a series since most of the characters in the story repeat themselves in either future books or past books. With that being said, I thought I would give a historical romance a try written by Ms Kleypas and I wasn't disappointed!

Secrets of a Summer Night is book #1 of the Wallflower series. The book is about Annabelle Peyton and Simon Hunt. Annabelle is a beautiful young lady whose family is experiencing financial struggles since Annabelle's father is no longer alive. She gives the pretense that her family is still well-to-do but quite a few people can tell due to her clothes that are looking a little threadbare and a few other clues. Simon enters the picture almost immediately and is instantly attracted to Annabelle and starts pursuing her immediately. Since Simon doesn't come from "old money" he is considered a commoner to London society even though he is a wealthy and successful entrepreneur. Then there are the wallflowers. Two American heiresses who are outcasts because they are American, a stuttering English heiress, and of course, Annabelle. I love the interaction between the wallflowers. It adds another dimension to the story besides that of the relationship between Annabelle and Simon. Simon proves to be a very worthy mate for Annabelle (after much debating, arguing and chasing on Simon's part), and the love scenes between these two hold nothing back. Pretty steamy!

I look forward to reading the next book in the Wallflower Series. If the next book is as interesting as this one, I'll start giving historical romance a try again!

Keep on Reading...
Lockenest

No comments:

Post a Comment